Not a diet, but a lifestyle
Clean eating is based on eating foods as close as possible to their natural state. Clean eating is a way of life, "it's a lifestyle approach to food and its preparation, leading to an improved life-one meal at a time" (from Clean Eating Magazine). Following clean eating principles can allow the body to reset and heal, naturally reaching a healthy weight. Clean eating may also naturally address any health issues related to a poor diet, less than ideal eating practices, or environmental exposures. Clean eating provides food in its most nutrient dense, naturally delicious form, and decreases exposure to food additives and chemicals associated with packaging. It is also environmentally friendly as the basic principles are based on seasonal, local, and sustainable foods.
Basics of clean eating
- Following a "whole foods diet"
- eating small frequent meals
- drinking plenty of water and clean, hydrating beverages
- learning how to read food labels and ingredients
- avoiding processed, packaged, and refined foods
- food shopping with enironmental principles in mind
- eating healthy fats
- using seasonal and local foods
- slowing down and savoring the natural beauty of whole foods
- preparing and planning ahead for healthy eating on the go
- and making a healthy lifestyle a family affair.
Your local Seattle dietitian can provide education on the basic principles of clean eating and guide you towards a lifestyle that is realistic and supports your optimal health. Get started today with a 14-day introductory diet and jump start your way to whole body health!